- 10 cups of finely chopped squash (about 6-7 squash)
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups of chopped tomatoes (about 2-3 romas)
- 2 small onions chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- (optional) ½ tablespoon of cumin
- (optional) ½ tablespoon of dillseed
- (optional) ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- (optional) 2-3 chopped hot peppers
- (optional) ½ can of coconut milk
Remove squash ends and chop as finely as possible. Boil squash with one cup of water in a large pot, stir frequently. At the same time, boil water in a separate saucepan and add lentils. Chop tomatoes and mix into the pot of squash. Add lentils to the pot of squash. Let squash, tomatoes, and lentils boil for about 20 minutes at high flame, stirring regularly. Chop onions and garlic cloves and sauté in vegetable oil. When onions have caramelized, stir into the large pot. Salt to taste and add teaspoon of turmeric.
For a mild porridge, this recipe is complete. Keep on stove for three minutes to simmer and serve with bread or over rice.
For more spice, continue with the recipe.
Powder cumin and dill seed and add to pot. Add ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper to pot. Add chopped 2-3 hot peppers.
For thicker porridge, add ½ can of coconut milk or heavy cream.
Serves 8-10 people, enjoy!